Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Etymology of Widget

Ok, I realize that many of my readers (I hope to have at least several at this point) may also be social media virgins. Seeing as the title of my blog is “What’s a Widget?”, I deem it necessary to define the term.

According to Wikipedia (postings on this online encyclopaedia are sometimes referred to as “Wikis”), “Widget” is short for “window gadget.”

Essentially, a widget is a virtual button or icon that provides easy access or links to information--sort of like an 'easy button'. Widgets appear on a computer’s desktop in order to access information quickly by clicking directly on the widget itself. Widgets can also be embedded into websites or blogs to provide quick links to relevant information or sites from one central access point.

Confused??? So was I. After much web browsing, I found the following site:
http://www.widgipedia.com/faq/

If you are still unsure of the definition of “widget”, I encourage you to check out the above link. Or, if you can explain this term better than I did, I invite you to comment on this blog posting.

*I dedicate this post to the word sniper.

No comments:

Post a Comment