Wednesday, January 21, 2009

My Social Media Journey


Up until now I thought a widget was an economic term used to describe a hypothetical unit of production- a gadget of sorts. However, it has recently been brought to my attention that a widget has a whole different and computer-related meaning.

I was made aware of the meaning of “widget”, when my Online PR teacher, Jessica McLaughlin, mentioned the word several times during one of our classes. I turned to my classmates and asked, dumbfounded, “what’s a widget?” They laughed and made me aware of the fact that I had a lot to learn with regards to social media and many of the terms associated with it.

Thus my blog was born.

I am a social media virgin. Sure, I have a facebook account which I use to post embarrassing photos of my friends and connect with old acquaintances. But as I enter the field of Public Relations and Corporate Communications, I am becoming more aware of the many uses of various forms of social media.

So, I invite you to journey with me as I begin to “tweet” on twitter, uncover the meaning of social media jargon and venture into other social media domains.

1 comment: