Friday, February 13, 2009

Let's Get "Real"


Can establishing an online identity ever be real? Are we ever who we say we are?

Forget about transparency for a minute. Technically, I could pose as a 35 year-old male who sells dental equipment for a living. I could establish an account on Plenty of Fish and talk to girls who may or may not be interested in dating me. Well, not me, but the person I am assuming to be.

This is the problem with establishing an online brand. How can we know who is legit? In reality, we can’t.

There are people who have twitter accounts who post the most ridiculous things to make themselves sound smarter and more in-tune with whatever audience they are trying to reach. These people are not being themselves; they are being who they think others want them to be.

When we take out the in-person variable, all we are left with is an online world of potential posers.

1 comment:

  1. There's an expression: butter wouldn't melt in her mouth. I finally learned what it meant from MTV's Hedsor Hall. It means saying what you think other people want to hear.

    Like in real life, 'butter wouldn't melt' in some soc med users' mouths.

    ReplyDelete