Wednesday, February 25, 2009

@#???Twitter???#@


Hashtags, DMs, "tweet ups"- I just don't get it.
Well, that's not completely true. As I get ready to record a podcast on the uses of Twitter I have definitely been doing my research on this social networking/micro-blogging site.
At the same time, I have yet to sign up for Twitter, because quite frankly, it creeps me out.

It's not that I don't recognize that Twitter can be useful. I think it can be beneficial if you are trying to network with people in your industry and engage in conversation with those that have similar interests to you.

At the same time, I think it's a little weird that people I don't know, have never met and may never meet, can follow me on twitter. It's basically like stalking someone openly.

Also, letting people know what I'm doing at all times would be a little much. Sure, I do interesting things some of the time, but there are times where I sit on my couch, surf the net and stuff my face with chocolate...should I tweet about that?

Of course I realize that I wouldn't have to actually change my status every time I changed my activity. But, If I were to only tweet about the things that would interest my followers I would not be staying true to my personal brand.

So, if I don't want to be fake what should I be posting as my status???

My opinions on interesting articles, sure. My thoughts on class discussions, sure. But, ultimately, who cares what I ate for lunch???
Stay tuned for my podcast- I may be converted to twitter-user.

4 comments:

  1. You post links to things you like. Easy as pie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. keep ur profile locked if you dont want people following you. Use tweetdeck, that way you dont actually have to go to the site to update your "status". And use it to learn and grow. If you follow the right people you can get access to some phenomenally useful information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't...do....it!

    Just kidding. You and I though are likely the only two still not on twitter.

    Here's my take on the whole situation:

    I used to have msn messenger, I have a Facebook account, I have a LinkedIn profile, I now have a blog and I three e-mails that I check on the regular.

    If that isn't enough, once I start back working, I will likely have another e-mail, another cell phone for work, and probably an intranet site to access when out of the office.

    With all that on the go, I just don't feel up to adding Twitter to the growing list. Sure, I've heard people preach the benefits...but I have to ask, do these people have a life? (I am ducking my head now for fear of getting shot for that comment, but I just want to make a strong point here.)

    If people are always online, then when and where does it stop. At work, at home, during class - it's all too much, as you said in the post.

    So I completely agree with you. The choice is yours to tweet or not. But I'd advise you to really think about what you want to get out of it first before starting a profile...otherwise it may just end up being another headache for you to keep up with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for showing both sides of the story, Jill. Not every soc med tool / platform / whatever is for everyone. For example, I don't use Facebook.

    ReplyDelete